1. LONG WAY DOWN by Jason Reynolds. So so so good. A young African-American boy has just lost his brother in a shooting. Does he seek revenge or not? He’s got 60 seconds to decide (an elevator ride that’s a looooong way down). Brilliant writing. One of my favorite authors. Read it. Gritty Young Adult.
2. BOB by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead. Really good. NOT gritty. Very sweet Middle Grade you and your kids will love.
3. THEN SHE WAS GONE by Lisa Jewell. Thriller, family drama, page-turner, not gruesome – my kind of book! Didn’t love the ending, but still good. Adult Fiction.
4. THE PERFECT NANNY by Leila Slimani. I questioned my book choices on Instagram, wondering why I am so drawn to domestic tragedy. Especially of this sort. Where there is a nanny. And the children do not survive (you know this on page one and yet I kept reading….Really good writing, I’ll give Slimani that! Adult fiction.
5. CON ACADEMY by Joe Schreiber. How about this: our 15 year protagonist is a total con artist at an elite prep school. He has a bet with Andrea (also a con). Who will win? It’s so SMART, so delightful. The prose is sparse and witty. I loved it! Young Adult.
On my bedside table: ASK AGAIN, YES by Mary Beth Keane.
Now you tell me! What did you read last month??? Recommendations?