In honor of kids everywhere, I’m back with one of my favorite posts: Real Quotes from Real Kids. They say the best things. I give them credit for every funny thing you think I’ve ever said and since it’s Children’s Book Week, it’s only fair to out my darlings as they’ve inspired every book I’ve written and am in the process of writing.
Here are some latest gems:
1. “Mom, I don’t know that I have an hour a week to schedule you in.” (when asked if we could possibly spend some time together.)
2. “I’m NEVER going to dye my hair! (condescending look my way) Anyway, it’s good to look old in my future profession.” (medieval history.) (hmmm…wonder who that was?)
3. “If I ever run an orphanage we’re going to have fun! And I’ll have Daddy cook!”
4. “I’m marking my territory.” (In response to strewing clothes and personal items allllll over the house.)
5. “When I’m at the pinnacle of success, I’m buying myself a Rolex.”
6. “How do you NOT KNOW HOW TO MAKE NACHOS??!!!? It’s a LIFE SKILL!”
7. “WAIT! Don’t leave me at my darkest hour!” (bedtime stalling tactics)
8. “Take the book away! The temptation is just too great!” (more bedtime stalling tactics)
9. “Mommy, (great worried brow) can you get pneumonia from an ice pack?”
10. “Mom. We’re not there yet.” (when asked to reveal love life secrets.)
11. “I loved your book, Mom…I’m just sad I didn’t get my own personal dedication.” (but they did in the acknowledgements!)
The secret to great writing? I think it’s eavesdropping on the children 🙂 Everything is copy.
For more Real Quotes from Real Kids, Go HERE.
Happy Children’s Book Week. What else are you and the darlings reading?