1. Memorial Day. I love this day.
Over Memorial Day Weekend we ran two 5ks. Because isn’t that what you do for fun?
The kids were great and Nelson once again kicked my booty with a time of 20:36 and 20:46. I shall never catch him again…which actually tickles me pink 🙂
By the second 5k, Paige had had enough and meandered down the course a full hour.
2. Maya Angelou. Love that woman. Sad to say good-bye to a hero and legend. I still remember reading I know why the cage bird sings in middle school and what an impact it had on me. I recently finished her memoir on her mother (her 7th autobiography!) and loved her interview with Time:
“I’ll probably be writing when the Lord says, “Maya, Maya Angelou, it’s time.”
3 . Track and Lacrosse
My boy flew like the wind, prompting tears from his mother on several occasions. “Mom, are you crying?” his sister asked me after his first mile race. I just don’t know what comes over me when it comes to running!
3b. My girl went to her first semi-formal dance. The next we chopped her hair off.
4. Black Flies. Oh sorry, that’s just wishful thinking.
5. Double Digits. My girl turned 10! What’s going on in the world?
6. The Babies Left
That baby in the tutu is Charly Barley and she came to see us this weekend with her sister, Sydnie. Oh yes, they have parents, Allison and Peter…and we miss them, but the children in this house are pining away for the babies. Here Peter is reading the new Honda Odyssey manual to his pregnant wife while she feeds the squirrely baby, scrambled eggs. Family life!
7. Meat. For my Year of Living Without, I’m not eating red meat this month. I hate it. It’s not right. I need my meat, my steak, my cheeseburgers and kabobs. I can’t wait for this trial to be over.
8. School. There are 17 days left. My head is dizzy with all the details left to do.
9. The Dining Hall. I’m weeping. (it’s where we eat dinner…often). Um, how do you normal people do it every night? If you see my children foraging for dandelion stew, remind them that Hogwarts will once again be open in the fall. For reals – what’s on your menu this week?
10. So we’re saying HELLO SUMMER!