With winter looming, so is sickness. This is how I’m keeping the viral and bacterial bugs at bay. Even with two kids being sick back to back for two weeks (coughing, sneezing, and throwing up,) so far I’m going strong and feeling groovy (please, karma, don’t strike me down tomorrow.)
Before the meds, let’s start with the base:
- Sleep. Did you know teenagers need an average of 9 1/2 hours of sleep every night??? When’s the last time your teen got that much? Adults? We need at least 7-8. Our immunity is hugely compromised when we consistently skimp on sleep. I take a daily vow to do better.
- Exercise. Even when I’m not feeling well, a short run, walk, or workout makes me feel better and I don’t seem to catch as many bugs.
- Morning Smoothies. Packed with greens, fruits, chia seeds, fat, and protein, breakfast can’t get much better. May food be thy medicine.
Usually, if I’m not feeling well, one of the above is out of whack. We can’t skip the base! Now, since we’re not superhuman or perfect all the time, let’s turn to our friendly medicine cabinet for a little extra help.
1. Multi-vitamin. No, I’m not pregnant. I just read that multi-prenatal vitamins were good for #hairandnails 🙂
2. Vitamin D. So many benefits, especially during the winter months when we aren’t soaking it up by the sun! Especially good for kids with growing bones, and females.
3. Oregano Oil. May I suggest the pills, NOT THE LIQUID. Trust me. You’ll burp a few times and taste oregano, but this stuff works!
4. Emergen-C. This flavor is delicious and it kicks coming colds to the curb!
5. Alka-Seltzer. When the cold is definitely on the way, I take this. It’s especially good for headaches and general malaise.
6. The Immune System Super Blaster. My favorite hot drink you can feel all the way down. BEST EVER. So tasty. So effective.
I don’t take all of these every day, maybe a couple times a week or when I’m feeling a little off.
Did you get the flu shot? I did because it was convenient and free with my insurance. Does it do much good? I’m not so sure but I’m crossing fingers and toes.
Okay friends, don’t forget your base (those first three listed!) And may you go forth and be well this winter. Sleep! Run! Eat Plants! Stay home if you’re sick so you don’t infect your friends, and that extra rest will get you better, faster.
Stay well and happy November!