A Mike’s Pastry Rival: Cream Puffs For Mumsie

My mother hates to cook. Oh sure, she’ll enjoy a good meal, but as she will tell you, eating is a perfectly good waste of time when you could be reading in bed. Or pruning a tree. So on this mother’s day eve, I applaud her kitchen sacrifice. To this day, I can see her sitting on the counter absently stirring a tomato sauce, completely absorbed in a book about English history. She may have disdained and detested the thankless task called dinner every single night, but she always made or delegated 🙂 There were few things more important to my mother than the family sitting down together every single night.

Breakfast was the same. We gathered. Every morning, she dragged herself out of bed to make sure something was on the table to eat. I even heard rumors that after the three oldest left home, she frequently cooked a hot breakfast for my brothers – bacon and eggs! This was her way of showing love. The value of food, was always about gathering the family. So she did it, because food brought us together.

There are a few recipes my mother passed down. she laughs at the very thought. Just last night we had the most favorite baked dish of all time: Tuna Fish Casserole. Delish!

Today I have the favorite dessert: The Cream Puff.puff2My mother also subscribes to the belief that food should be simple. She wouldn’t be caught dead with a Bon Appetit in the house. If, for one second, I could imagine her flipping through any sort of food magazine, she would roll her eyes boring and toss it aside. Which makes it all that more funny that I married a foodie, the son of a chef!

But this dessert is something my mother made frequently. It’s not hard, but has a simple complexity to it. It’s the dessert my children devour like wolves, and every single time, reminds me of my mom.

Here’s How. Remember: we are simple. this is simple.

The first step is to make chocolate pudding and put in the refrigerator the night before, or at least 5-6 hours before wanting to eat a cream puff. Now sure, you could use instant pudding, but the Cook to Serve Jello Pudding Mix is far superior. This too comes from directly from my mother, ick, I can’t abide instant chocolate pudding!

glopFirst you will make the batter, combining 1 cup of water, 1/8th teaspoon of salt, and a stick of butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add a cup of flour (whole wheat or white) all at once, stirring vigorously.

Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate. Remove from heat. Cool ten minutes. Add four eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until smooth. It will resemble the above picture. This is where your muscles come in, missies!

Then you will drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet. No need to grease.

puffsWhen they come out of the oven you will have most adorable puffs! Look at those glorious puff puffies. Sadly, those sweet puffs will deflate a bit as they cool.cream puffAnd then you will fill them with the pudding. And whipped cream if you so desire. The possibilities are quite endless, but I never deviate from my fillings. It’s a formed habit that I don’t deviate from. It’s a childhood thing.

Cream Puffs for Mumsie

1 Cup Water

1/2 Cup or 1 Stick Real Butter

1 Cup Flour (whole wheat or white)

4 Eggs

Pudding

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan combine water, butter and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate. Remove from heat.

2. Cool ten minutes

3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition. Muscles!

4. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons (I do a bit more and come out to about 12), 3 inches apart, onto an ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Split puffs in half and fill with your hearts desire. Lightly sift powdered sugar (optional…we rarely make it this far)

Did you notice? There is no sugar in the pastry puff. There are so many eggs I eat these for breakfast.

We also  eat these cream puffs without the top so they last longer. And wouldn’t you know, the last time I had a cream puff from Mike’s Pastries, I liked Mumsie’s better! This dessert mimics my favorite pastry of all time: the eclair from Mike’s Pastries. It’s ever so easy but feels a little more decadent, a little more fancy pants than cookies.

I recall a time my mother made these for my sixth grade birthday party and my uninformed classmates used the pastries to throw at each other. She was not amused. And now, dear friends, enjoy the Cream Puffs for Mumsie. She’s not English, but sometimes I think it’s fun to call her names like Mumsie.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mumsie. I love you so. Thank you for doing the highest, holiest service assumed by mankind. Even when you hated to cook. #itwasmom Tweet that! 🙂

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestShare

24 thoughts on “A Mike’s Pastry Rival: Cream Puffs For Mumsie

1. Jenny

These look marvelous. Cream puffs are one of my favorite desserts and these appear to have the perfect amount of puff. Happy Mothers Day!

2. Julia Tomiak

Yummy indeed! Have you read The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt? The narrator, Holling Hoodhood, loves perfectly brown, sweet cream puffs. He’d like your mom’s recipe. 🙂

3. Eli@coachdaddy

1. Cream puffs are my aunt’s claim to fame. No matter what, that woman can make a puff.

2. I hate that you make it sound easy. Mostly because I also today found a recipe for easy donuts. This means if my kids ever find out, I’ll have to make dessert every day.

3. I love that a mom’s (or dad’s) legacy can live on in a recipe.

4. vidente economico

You are so awesome! I do not suppose I’ve truly read
    anything like that before. So wonderful to find somebody with some genuine
    thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
    This site is something that’s needed on the internet,
    someone with a bit of originality!

5. http://plusclassifieds.com.au/home/author/jumenzies

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything
    new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this web site, as I experienced to
    reload the web site many times previous to I could get
    it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect
    your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for
    much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

For a better informative review please visit this page – brand [http://plusclassifieds.com.au/home/author/jumenzies]

6. vitamin b1

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our
    community. Your web site offered us with useful info to work on. You
    have performed an impressive job and our entire community will likely be
    thankful to you.

For a wonderful response please visit this page …

vitamin b1

7. GC 180 XT Supplement

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation however I in finding this topic to
    be actually one thing which I believe I would never understand.

It sort of feels too complicated and very broad for me.
    I am having a look forward to your subsequent put up,
    I’ll attempt to get the cling of it!

my page – GC 180 XT Supplement

8. rebelmouse.com

That’s why personal injury law firm construction accident
    attorney, it is. Unfortunately, the insurance companies
    will attempt to seek recovery to pay you as small a sum of money.
    If death has been seriously injured in your life.
    Thhe Las Vegas automobile laws have become a cause of vehicle collision cases take place due to their cu.

9. civil rights

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
    to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

10. search engine

With havin so much content and articles do you ever
    run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either created
    myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is
    popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any techniques
    to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.