All that gorgeous green.
Here we have 6 shades of green: Granny Smith Apple, Kiwi, Kale, Parsley, Spinach, and Lime. (Did you know? Even parsley is a superfood – read it!)
For good gut health (you want more alkaline than acid): Ginger, Lime, and all the greens.
For sweetness and to get children to drink it: Pineapple juice. No added sugar.
For protein: Chia Seeds. Also, greens provide some protein.
On my journey into the land of Green, I have learned a few things:
1. Introduce greens slowly. Start with a higher fruit ratio.
2. Pineapple will make everything sweet and tasty
3. For kids, definitely start with more fruit. Smoothies have to taste at least a little sweet to hook the children. Otherwise children turn into whineys and breakfast will be a fight; not a great way to start the day. If smoothies taste yucky they might hide them in odd places around the house. not that I would know.
4. Talk about how you feel, “I feel sooooo good!,” and “Great energy! Awesome soccer goal – must have been that smoothie,” and “My morning run was fantastic – must have been that green smoothie!”
5. Immune system supercharger. It won’t prevent every cold and cough, but you will stay healthier than the average bear.
6. You will FEEL better. Mood improves, energy skyrockets.
7. Greens are HUGE for gut health. Depression? Back pain? It’s shocking how gut health could be affecting us. Listen to this. Fascinating.
Don’t get me started on soda. Ready to rant.
8. Powerful blenders make a difference. Very few people I know like to drink chunks. It’s worth the investment.
9. Great for weight loss. Greens and protein help suppress sugar cravings. Husband is down 50+lbs. Just the other day someone admiringly said, “Look at that man’s body.” I died.
Want it? Come and Get it.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cut, unpeeled
- 3 Kiwi, peeled
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice, no sugar added
- 1 Handful Kale, fresh or frozen
- 1 Handful Parsley, fresh
- 1 Handful Spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled
- 1/3 Lime, unpeeled
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Top with Kiwi and Apple slices
- Blend it up!
- To make it sweeter, add more pineapple juice and an apple (Honey Crisp are particularly divine.)
I promise it’s wonderful. The kiwi toppers were for pretty photography, but I discovered that slurping down smoothie-coated kiwi was pure bliss. Who said we don’t like drinking chunks?
I promise it won’t poison any children.
Looking for more? The perfect smoothie formula HERE.
Have a great green smoothie weekend! I’d love to hear how it goes.