Merry Christmas, all you runners. And when I say all you runners, of course I mean you.
Since it’s Cyber Week, let’s take advantage of some great prices to help you get moving this year. Even if you hate running (gasp!), I have taken it upon myself to inspire you in the coming year, to find your inner runner and be happy like Buddy the Elf, who was always running. And downing maple syrup.
Sometimes “stuff” really does inspire. And when you give it, you’re endorsing the wonderful world of LIVING. Here’s a quick list of inspiration.
1. Socks. The affordable gift. But halt – not just any socks! Socks that won’t slip down. Socks that let you sweat. Socks that won’t cause blisters. I love Nike. They have a band around the middle that is super hugging and supportive. But just this morning I ran in a pair of Danskin that I got from Wal-mart and guess what? They were great! The price is nice, too.
3. Garmin Watch. The price is coming down on these! Still an expensive gift, but just think of the joy on his/her face when this this special watch is unwrapped. Priceless. Even if you went to China, the satellite would pick up and you would know distance, pace, and overall time. I love this watch! They even have pink Garmin watches now. Marathon Glenn is drooling over a very special Garmin watch.
For only $14.99, this is a great piece of equipment. Do your knees hurt? Lay down and roll out your hamstrings, IT Band, and butt – I’m willing to bet you have knots that are pulling on your IT band, which pulls on your knee cap. I will come to your house (or make a video?) of exactly how to do this, but the roller does come with a how-to guide. Since I started rolling, my knee pain and knee tendonitis has never come back. Back pain? Neck pain? Butt pain? ROLL. This foam roller is like a massage, but way more cost effective.
12. Gift Card for Running Shoes. Brooks, Adidas, Nike, Newton Asics: They all provide gift cards!
13. Neck Warmer. Help your lungs this winter. Protect your lips, chin, and cheeks from winter burn. Starting in November, I wear a neck/face warmer everyday until about mid-March. You can buy one for about $10 or cut and sew a piece of fleece together. Works much better than wrapping your face with a scarf. 14. Itunes gift card for the ipod or make a personalized running CD to upload to the ipod.
15. Shop the sales racks at Nike outlet right now – all the shorts are marked way down. Your runner (or you) will be more motivated to go out this spring with a spunky pair of shorts waiting for her/him. 16. Pedicure. Your runner needs foot love. 17. Pay for a race. One Christmas my dad paid for me to run the New Hampshire trail’s series – 6 races in 5 months. It was one of the best presents I ever received.
One Christmas we received a big box of Honeybell oranges. Oh my deliciousness! Instead of ordering crap, excuse me, give good stuff!
The biggest benefit to any of these gifts? It shows someone that you take health seriously, that we can do hard things, (which running often is.) When I receive a running gift, it’s validating…you believe in me. Perhaps, you will need to forward this post to your own Buddy elf, or stuff a few of these items into your own stocking this year (sometimes we have to help ourselves out, right?)