Downton Abbey, Chicken Style

Because I’m a sucker for “experience”
Because I didn’t learn my lesson last time
Because they said please please please and I just couldn’t say no

I had nothing to do with the naming.  The girls knew exactly what our new additions should be named, weeks in advance.
Please meet, “Anna”

“Sybil”

“Mrs. Hughes” (the girls decided she should stop wearing so much black)

“Lavinia” is the smallest of the bunch, a little fragile.

“Sybil” and “Mary” are Bard Rocks and hearty egg layers.

The three sisters; Mary, Edith, and Sybil.  Mary’s kind of a loud mouth and queen of the pecking order. She’s so aggressive we wonder if she’s actually “Mr. Bates,” in which case we’ll have a cock-a-doodle-doo wake-up call every morning.  If this is the case, we won’t have Mr. Bates for very long.  And then Anna would be very sad – after all they’ve been through!  We won’t know for a couple of weeks.  There is a 1% chance “she” is actually a rooster.

I just really like those legs.

Starting is easy:  A chick water feeder, food feeder, chick feed for less than $10, a bin with wood shavings, and a heat lamp.  They’ll stay inside for 5-6 weeks, growing like they’re on a high dosage growth hormone – in a week they’ll be double the size.

And then they’ll start to smeeeeeellllll, but we’re not thinking about that yet.  They’re still cute.

Doggie can hardly stand it
Let me att’em…just a little sniff sniff…we had a little mishap last time…so doggie isn’t getting near the Downton clan.  We must protect our nobility.  We are honored by their presence.

The little ‘uns have promised with all their hearts that they will take care of them for the rest of their living days.  Feeding, watering, collecting eggs even in the dead of winter.

Nelson boy wants nothing to do with the girls; he’s still smarting from the rooster attacks years ago.  But perhaps the famed Downton beauty and charm will win him over.  Brynne and Paige can’t keep their hands off them and swear they’ve never been so happy in all their lives.  This Downton addition comes at the perfect time.  Today is the first day of school vacation; best week-long entertainment ever.
cheep.
cheep.
cheep cheep.
cheep cheep cheep!
oh my goodness it’s already driving me crazy.
xoxo.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestShare

13 thoughts on “Downton Abbey, Chicken Style

1. Andrea

Now that we’ve had chickens for a year, the love affair is definitely over for the kids! They still like to show their friends, but they hate refilling the water or rounding them up to go back in the coop. I’m getting kind of fond of them, though! They follow me around the yard when I’m out there. How can I resist that kind of loyalty?

2. Melissa Sarno

Amy, you let them get chicks! I wish I could have them too. But I don’t think chickens do well in small Brooklyn apartments. Good luck with these little cheepers. I hope you’ll keep us updated on their growth. SO exciting.

3. Jess

Adorable! I hope to get chickens one of these days (maybe when we move out of a neighborhood with several foxes :)). The local outdoor/farm gear store is selling goslings for $3 each–sooooo hard to resist!

4. .....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies

So cute! I love that you all named them after the Downton girls!
    Now, you posted on Monday, so I hope all is still well and your cute pup is staying away! Or Buddy would be crazy with excitement!
    P.S. Thank you for your note about Ocracoke! My email is being wonky and I can’t log in to send you a reply. I love knowing that you all have been there too! Such a special place. When I am able to break back into my email, I would love to know where you stayed on the island!
    Elizabeth:)

5. .....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies

So cute! I love that you all named them after the Downton girls!
    Elizabeth:)

6. .....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies

So cute! I love that you all named them after the Downton girls!
    Elizabeth:)

7. .....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies

So cute! I love that you all named them after the Downton girls!
    Elizabeth:)

8. Julia Tomiak

I feel out of it here- although I live on a farm, I’ve never had chicks. Husband thinks “we” should get some, but that means I will have to take care of them. I also am the one American NOT watching Downton Abby, so I’m really out of the loop. But the names are cute. So are your pictures. I’ll think about it…